The TN visa allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to be admitted to the U.S. to engage in business activities in designated fields or categories.
The full title of the visa category is “Professionals Under the North American Free Trade Agreement.” It is available only to citizens of Canada and Mexico, under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
TN/NAFTA Visa Eligibility
You are eligible for a TN visa if…
- You are a citizen of Mexico or Canada working in a professional occupation on the NAFTA list (list of professions: http://www.nafta-sec-alena.org/en/view.aspx?x=343&mtpiID=147#Ap1603.D.1)
- You possess the specific criteria for that profession
- Your prospective position requires someone in that profession
- You will work for a U.S. employer
TN Visa Terms
- Travel – TN visa holders may travel in and out of the U.S. while visa is valid and the intended professional activities haven’t changed.
- Length of stay – Is now 3 years (was 1 year initially).
- Extensions – The TN visa may be extended indefinitely in 1-year increments. You must demonstrate a foreign residence and intention of returning.
- Family / dependents – you may bring spouse and unmarried children under 21 with you under a TD visa.
- Work for dependents – dependent TD visa holders are not allowed to work – they must qualify for another visa type in order to work.
- Education for dependents – TD visa holders may attend school.
TN Visa Application Locations
Canadians – can apply at a U.S. consulate, the border, or port of entry.
Mexicans – must apply at a U.S. consulate abroad.
TD Visa for Dependents of TN Visa Holders
Dependents of TN Visa holders (i.e. spouse or unmarried children under 21 years of age) may apply for the TD dependent’s visa. Dependents may accompany the visa holder into the U.S. or may join them at a later date.
Unlike the primary TN visa holder, dependents are not required to be citizens of Canada or Mexico.
You will need to be able to demonstrate the relationship, usually with accompanying marriage certificate or birth certificate.
Trust Velie Law With Your TN or TD Visa Application
If your TN or TD Visa Application is important to you, here are four great reasons why you should speak to Velie Law Firm today.
- The care we put into all our applications gives us the highest success rates in the industry.
- Plus you get our “Success Guarantee” — if your first application is not successful, we’ll review and resubmit at no cost.
- You’ll deal directly with our in-house attorneys (no affiliates).
- Our services are flat-rate. You won’t pay one penny more!
* Our approval rate displayed is the average for calendar year 2014. Any result Velie Law Firm might have achieved on behalf of one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.